Monday, May 2, 2011

My Favorite Frittata!

Good Day!  It is Monday and I am not at work :(, I am not at work because last night as I was at an off leash dog area that has not been manicured and decided to get some running in so I wouldn't have to do cardio when I came home. So I began running following the wash and as I began to hit a stride I was looking to far ahead and stepped on a rock that was nestled in the sand. As I went down I heard a crunch in my ankle and burning in my knee. I "walked it off" which probably wasn't the best idea because this morning when I tried to get outta bed I though I was going to topple. All my plans for the day were trashed and I prepared to spend the day at the doctor. The Doctor said it wasn't a break/fracture which was good, but I it was a sprain and I would be sore for the next two weeks. That means no running, Turbo Fire,  or walking for exercise. This will be interesting in how I am going to handle the kids at work, but I guess I will figure away around it.
Thankfully I did my Meatless Monday post on Saturday (I figure I meatless almost everyday so it only matters if I pick as tasty meal out of my week.) I found this recipe a few years ago when I was doing the Makers Diet, and fell in love with it and months we will eat it once a week, then will go months without thinking about it. Really it is the perfect meal, protein, veggies and fat. Plus anytime I can get all of those in without having to have multiple things on my plate I am happy. (I know weird about the plate thing, but hey we all have our idosyncracies'). Anyways back to the Fritata. It has tons of steamed Sauteed veggies. I strayed from the recipe and added my own  selection  of veggies

 Sauteed Mushrooms
 Steamed Broccoli and Asparagus (we steam everything in our rice cooker, it is fabulous when it gets hot and we don't want to turn the stove on in the Summer)
 Beat 6 eggs
 Have you tried Creme Friache? This is so much better than any sour cream I have ever eaten and when you use it to cook it melts into the food perfectly with out separating and curdling. 

 Saute the onions  
Then pour the egg mixture and veggies into the skillet that  you sauteed the veggies in. 
 This is the Piece De Resistance, Drunken Goat. Cheese that is immersed in wine and comes out with the most wonderful tangy flavor that when melted and mixed with veggies is so wonderful it is like a flavor party in your mouth. 
 I could almost eat it like this, but melted is 100% better. 
 Into the broiler it went for approx 10 mins,
And onto my  plate and into my belly. (Next time I need to remember not to use a white plate when I use the wonderful outdoors as my lighting.) 

Well I hope you enjoyed and try this for a Saturday or Sunday meal. 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup broccoli flowerets, steamed until tender and broken into small pieces(I added Asparagus)
  • 1 red pepper; seeded and cut into a julienne (I cut this out.)
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped]
  • Butter and extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/3 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
  • 1 tsp. finely grated lemon rind
  • pinch dried oregano
  • pinch dried rosemary
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup grated raw Monterey jack cheese (drunken goat the only way to go)

Directions

In a cast iron skillet, saute the pepper and onion in butter and olive oil until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon. Beat eggs with cream and seasonings. Stir in broccoli, peppers, and onion. Melt more butter and olive oil in the pan and pour in egg mixture. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes until the underside is golden. Sprinkle cheese on top and place under broiler for a few minutes until the frittata puffs and browns. Cut into wedges and serve. (I used the recipe from here)
Have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...