Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothers Day!

Happy Mothers Day! I hope everyone is having a wonderful day with their family and remember if you are on with your family, "...Here are my mother and brothers! Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." (Mark 3:34-35)  My mother no longer lives close, but I do live with my grandmother so I was able to celebrate mothers day with her. Ok we didn't do much celebrating my ankle has been a bit soar today, I tweaked my ankle while in the shower and have been back on the icing it every two hours. On top of that when I asked if there was anything she wanted me to make I got crickets. Ok this is not what I was expecting, generally when I tell her I will make what she wants on a Holiday she will request my homemade Mac and Cheese. This gave me the perfect excuse to make something I have been thinking about for a few months now and just hadn't gotten around to it with my recent Pad Thai addiction (I probably will need to find a support group for it, I have eaten it every week for the past two months.) So let me introduce you to the most wonderful
  Vegetable Paella!
Thats right it is so good it gets the largest and colored font! This is a recipe that we have had only one other time while we were following the Weight Watchers Diet and my grandma purchase the Versatile Vegetarian cook book, I would recommend it, the recipes are simple, they don't take long, and many of them are replacements for some comfort foods that are generally meat packed. 
The ingreidants are Saffron, Thyme, Onion, Garlic, Broth, short grain rice, cut tomatoes Black olives, capers, beans, and red and green bell peppers (I was out of peppers so I subbed with green beans)

 Sautee onions and once they are soft add the garlic, and rice and cook for 1 min., similar to what you would do with risotto. 
 In went the tomatoes.
 Then the broth which I heated in the microwave then let sit with the saffron in it for 10 mins. 
 I added the broth, 
 Remaining ingrediants


 Then cooked in the oven for approx. 30 mins. I had to add a little more broth because it dried out before the rice was soft. 
 Dished up. Two cups was the serving size and the whole recipe serves 4 as a main dish. 
 This Saffron is probably the least expensive one we found, but it still adds quite the punch of flavor. It will last for a bit as well as in this particular recipe it calls for two pinches. 
Here is the recipe! I am tired and have a paper to edit so I chose to scan it in.
I hope everyone had a wonderful mothers day and I leave you with the cupcakes I made for myself and grandma. It is a modification from How Sweet It Is blog for her cupcakes for two. I added sprinkles. :) oh yeah and they are gluten free. 
For the recipe go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...