Monday, May 16, 2011

Meatless Monday

I didn't do a meatless meal post this weekend on Sunday when I generally prepare my Meatless meal I was so hungry when I prepared my Socca Pizza that I didn't even think about taking pictures of the steps. I was so consumed with getting it done that I didn't care that I wasn't preparing for my first blog post of the week. Thankfully I have a recipe that I have been sitting on for a few weeks along with Pictures to share.

A few weeks ago I really wanted enchiladas, but Super Target was sold out of our go to sauce and I am pretty picky when it comes to my store bought sauces. I was then struck my genius or psychosis and decided to try my hand at Mole Enchiladas. After returning home I began scouring the internet for someone else who had tried this interesting combination. One of the things that I found was adding squash to the sauce which sounded interesting so I dug out my last can of Pumpkin puree with the intention of creating something delicious. So on with the show, My version of Mole Enchiladas

 
 I started with this store bought Cocoa Chile Mole sauce and mixed the Pumpkin Puree and heated over the stove. 
 When it was warm I tried it out and then added some more chocolate to attempt to cut the taste of store bought sauce. I didn't get it quite right, but it wasn't as tangy as it had been when I opened it. 
 Layer the tortillas on the bottom. I didn't picture this, but I ended up cutting the tortillas square so it covered the bottom of the pan completely. 

 To fill the enchilada casserole I used Broccoli, Carrots, Green Beans  and Pinto beans on the bottom layer for a little protein. 
 Topped with Sauce then some Daiya Meltable Cheese. It is wonderful if you can't eat cheese, but miss the texture of the wonderful food of the gods. (I love cheese, but gave it up to kiss the acne good bye)
This is the final product. My verdict is it was quite good and a good start, but I should have followed my instincts and waited for a better Mole sauce. I don't know what is in store bought sauces that leaves such a strange taste in my mouth, but if I make this again I will either be buying a better sauce or making my own. Adding the Pumpkin was good it added some much needed moisture to my dry rice tortillas. I think you should try this, it is a change from what I normally eat, but a welcome one. 

So on with the recipe!

Mole Enchilada Casserole 
1 Jar Mole Sauce
1 15 oz Pumpkin Puree
2 Cups Pinto Beans
1 bag Daiya Meltable Cheese
Choice of steamed vegetables
Onions and Peppers (Which I forgot)
Extra Chocolate to taste

Instructions
Mix and heat the Mole and Pumpkin Puree and steam the vegetables while heating the sauce. If you need to this is the time to add more chocolate or other seasonings to make the sauce the way you like it. Once the vegetables are ready you can begin layering the tortillas, then beans, then vegetable and top it with sauce. Continue doing this until you run out of ingredients or the pan is filled. You can also roll the stuffing in the tortillas as you would traditional enchiladas then cover the pan with the Mole Mixture. 
Back in oven at 350 for approx 20-30 minutes. 

If you do decide to try this let me know how it goes, let me know of any changes you make so I can try them myself.  Sorry to cut this short, but I have to head off to write a 5 Journal Pages for class and work on a rough draft for my essay.  Not to mention I want to play a little bit of Half-Life 2 which I have recently become obsessed with beating. Darn Video Games!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...