Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Sunday Meal!

He has Risen!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter Sunday! Mine was about the norm, but I had some wonderful things revealed about my time management that provided a little less stress and helped me to prioritizes somethings differently.
 So anywho lets get on to this wonderful Meatless Monday Post. I had not really thought about what I was going to make for my Easter Meal and was even contimplating just serving Socca Pizza again even though that is totally a Friday meal and that would have been the same dinner twice in one weekend. But then I remembered a recipe that I had been wanting to try for several months actually now that I look at the post it has been almost a year. (How has time gone by so fast that it feels like I had just seen that recipe in my reader in September). The recipe was Rough Puff Pastry from The Gluten Free Girl and Chef. I highly recommend this site as it was the initial reason I started my own blog.
 Anyways I started the puff pastry and was shocked at using 3 sticks of butter, but knew from past experience this girl knew what she was doing and followed the recipe.
 The butter had to be cut into smaller pieces and re-frozen 
 The rice flours, xantham gum, guar gum, salts were mixed together and Aerated. 
 Into the stand mixer went the flours and butter and proceeded to make a noise like gravel and sand in my stand mixer. When the edges of the butter were soft 3/4cup of ice water was added until everything was wet. I turned it out onto my silicone mat which I quickly found must be nothing like a Silpat because my stuff dough stuck to it and had to be scarped off. 
 This is the first of 7 roll outs. All those chunks of butter I didn't figure that it would turn out at all. 
 I folded it like a brochure and rolled it out some more so everything was worked together 
 This dough was rolled so many times had it been human it would be relaxed beyond recognition. 
 MORE rolling after 2 hour break it was rolled out two more times, then rested 2 more hours and was finally ready to meet its new home in the Pyrex dish. 
 This produce shelve was the going to make its home in the new Rough Puff Pastry dish. The veggies were Sauteed then boiled until tender. With Broth added it cooked for about 15 minutes because I was impatient and wanted to get everything in the oven so I could enjoy this:
 Vegetable Pot Pie. We didn't have ham or chicken, but our light buttery crust filled with veggies was a delightful Vegetarian Easter dinner that I will be making again. 
This is my portion, I add honey to the top of mine because I love the sweet with the salty veggies. 

The Veggie Pot Pie recipe was found on allrecipes.com here
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 8 ounces mushrooms
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch wide
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Cook onions, mushrooms, and garlic in oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in carrots, potatoes, and celery. Stir in cauliflower, green beans, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, soy sauce, and 1/4 cup water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Stir into vegetables, and cook until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
  4. Roll out 1/2 of the dough to line an 11x7 inch baking dish. Pour the filling into the pastry lined dish. Roll out remaining dough, arrange over the filling, and seal and flute the edges.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the crust is brown.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter and was able to with loved ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...