Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Meatless Monday

Yes I am totally late on this post, I was in the throws of trying to complete a final essay, but I did take pictures and prepare for sharing this delicious meal. Thanks to crockpot365 I found a meal to make meatless. Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup. I know I know if there is Chorizo it can't be meatless, but thanks to Trader Joes and their Soy Chorizo it is. 
I had to weigh out my sweet potatoes and add some regular potatoes, because this wasn't a planned meal and I didn't have many sweets laying around. 


 Peel them
Chop um


 Lay everything out artisticly so you don't have to take picutures of each item. (Artisitic right;)?)
 Some stock (this is what was in the cupboard)
 Dump it all in the Crockpot and Relax.
 When I saw this I was totally grossed out, seriously could that red be any grosser?
 Whip out the Vita Mix and blend.Oh you don't have a Vita Mix that is fine an immersion blender or regular blender will work.
 Now the recipe calls for a dollop of Sour Cream, but I no longer eat dairy products so I passed on it and opted for an artichoke. This was a fabulous mode of transportation for the soup to my mouth and much healthier then the former butter I use to bathe my artichokes in. If I hadn't already eaten dinner I would have had a dinner redo. Though this may have been a bit obsessive  considering this meal was Sunday night and Monday night I paired the soup with a piece of Corn Socca and Amy's Gluten Free Vegan burger.  Wishing you many happy meatless meals .
Heres the Recipe:

Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
7 cups chicken broth
7 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced (pork, beef, turkey, veggie; your choice)
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped (or a handful of baby carrots)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 3/4 pounds (about 3 large) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 tablespoons sour cream (for serving)

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth and add the sliced chorizo (no need to brown first, YAY!). Add the carrots, onion, sweet potatoes, and garlic Don't worry about chopping your vegetables in pretty shapes----it's all going to be blended together anyhow (after cooking).
Stir in the curry powder and chile flakes.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours (low is better, IMO). Before serving, use a hand-held stick blender to blend the soup completely (even the chorizo. I know, it sounds weird, but trust me). Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream

Be good and find Tasty treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...